Sunday, April 27, 2008

 

I blame Kristen...and Aunt Jayne

So, about 10 months ago, Kristen asked me if I would want to train for the 1/2 marathon with her and the rest of the runners in the family for the Borgess Run for the Health of It. In a moment of weakness, I thought about it and thought about how my amazing Aunt Jayne trained for it and ran it. If she can do it, I can do it. So, I said yes.

For 10 months, I trained by running around Grand Rapids, the track at the YMCA, and Reed's Lake. I was super excited when I could run a mile without stopping. Then, it eventually got the point where 4 miles was easy for me. If any of you know me at all, I hate running. Well, hated it. I thought people were insane to go out and run. It's not fun. It hurts. And they all talked about this made up thing called a runner's high. I found out it's real. Crap...they were right.

Anyways, by different twists of fate, all the family members had excuses not to run the race. Then, Kristen found out she couldn't run it due to injury. So, I ran it. All by myself (except the first 3.5 miles where I ran with Julie, Todd's Lisa's sister).

My goals:
1. Finish the race
2. Don't die
3. Beat at least one person

I achieved all my goals :) It took me 2 hours and 30 minutes to run the 13.1 mile race and I was very sore (still am), but it was well worth it. So, even though I was hating Kristen before I took off for convincing me to run the race, I have to say a huge "Thanks" to her for pushing me to do it. Also, a thanks to Jayne because she inspired me as well :)


Before the race started



Heading for the finish line


Very sore after the race, but I got a medal :)

Comments:
Way to go Lisa! I'm proud of you. I don't think that I'd EVER be able to that. You're my hero!
 
Way to go!!!
 
Awesome job Lisa! You not only met your goal but kicked its butt! We're very proud of you!
-Marni
 
Lis you rock girl!!!
 
NICE JOB LISA!!!!! :o) I'm slightly inspired to do this...not enough to run one, but enough to think about it.
 
I'm SOOO proud of you! Great job. I'm glad you've got the running bug now! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?