Saturday, February 17, 2007

 

I took the Polar Plunge!


I participated in helping to raise money for the students I work with who are a part of the Special Olympics. I signed up with Trask Middle school (one of the schools I work at) to participate in the Polar Plunge. This was running into the Atlanic Ocean (when it was about 40 degrees outside) and getting wet! My Mom graciously donated the minimum amount of $100 to support my love for children with special needs. Today, Feb 17, I went to Carolina Beach(10 minutes from my apartment) to meet my group and take the "plunge!" I went in further than any other woman in our group, I went up to my shoulders; however, some of the guys in our group dove head first! This was an exhilirating experience, and I 'm looking forward to helping in the Special Olympics in the summer!


Comments:
Way to go Tanya. What a great cause!
You sure look a little chilly though :)
 
You're insane, but for a very worthy cause! I hope all is well in balmy NC (40 degrees sounds almost tropical since we've been experiences sub-zero weather here in sunshiny Michigan!)
Good job, Tanya! That's something you soon won't forget!
 
Tanya- you rock! It is awesome for you to get cold and wet for such an AWESOME cause. I showed my neighbor Randall (who's mentally impared) the pictures on the blog. He thinks you're great! And he wants to dive in the Ocean as well.
 
That's great Missy! I truly believe that these people enrich my life by working with them, it's amazing what you can learn!

I'd thought I'd let everyone know that from this middle school class (that I took the "plunge" for)of students that are severe-profoundly mentally retarded, two students won King & Queen at the Sweetheart dance last week! The voting was fare and square, not rigged! Peer helpers who work in the classroom spread the word around school to vote for these students. It worked, the Queen was so excited she didn't stop grinning for hours!!!! For their "dance" the King pushed the Queen around in her wheelchair (supervised, of course!). There is still good that can happen in a public middle school! :o)
 
What you did and do is so wonderful!!! I have a hard enough time going in an 80 degree pool or 70 degree Lake Michigan!!! Hope you've warmed up!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?