Saturday, May 27, 2006

 

My 62 mile bike day!


Ok, so it's nothing really compared to Matt's crazy bike trip from LA to San Fran or Chris's 150 mile ride from Westminster to Salida the day BEFORE this ride, but it's the longest I've done and I still can't believe it. I set many personal records -- furthest distance on a bike (62 mies), greatest elevation gain (the ride started at roughly 10,000 ft and climbed up to at least 12,000 in the span of 31 miles), and greatest speed (topped off at 31 mph on the ride back down into town).

The Buena Vista Bike Fest is held in Buena Vista (obviously) -- 150 miles southwest of Denver -- every year. They offer four rides... 40 miles, 50 miles, 62 miles, and 100 miles. I went up planning to do the 40 mile ride but when I got to the 20 mile mark where I could turn around to complete the 40 mile course, I felt remarkably good and decided to keep going and skip the 50 mile ride and bite the bullet to do the 62. The weather was beautiful minus some rain and high cross winds between miles 31-35. As soon as we dropped elevation again on the way back, the weather improved and so did my attitude about the sport of cycling in general (I couldn't help but wondering why I was freezing cold, leaned totally into the wind and still getting blown into the middle of the road when I could be inside a nice warm car with the windshield wipers on). It was a great time and I'd highly recommend it for any of you that went to catch the beautiful scenary of Colorado on a bike. Shortish, fun, and great food and beer at the end!




Friend Scott, me, and Chris

Comments:
Congrats, Marni! Hope your butt isn't too sore :)
 
You go hard core biker chic!! I am impressed!!
 
Way to go, Girl! That is awesome! You look like a pro out there!
 
Way to go babe! You did great. :)

-Chris
 
I'm so impressed. So utterly impressed!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?