Monday, March 06, 2006

 

The Soda Pop Wars I and II



Monday, I went into the Bloomingdale Marathon station to buy a soda. Because the fountain soda only had 4 choices, I grabbed a 20 oz Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper from the store refrigerator. While in line, I took a fountain cup with ice to pour my Dr. Pepper into. Following is a rough dialogue of the conversation.
Me- "Hey- I'm buying this bottle of Dr. Pepper, but I grabbed a cup to put it in".
The cashier was livid.
Cashier- "Well", she says, exerting her authority, "you're gonna have to pay for both".
Me- How much is the cup- like ten cents?
Cashier- We charge for the cup restocking fee. It doesn't matter if you put pop in it or not- you're gonna pay for both.
She then charges me over $3 for my soda endeavor. Frustrated I leave. I talk big talk to the guy in my carpool about how I'm gonna go in to the Marathon the next day and claim my soda (I'm all talk- no action)
The next day, I get in my car to drive home and my carpool guy reminds me of my pledge. So I walk into the Marathon with my precious cup.
Me- "Hey- remember me (I wave my cup triumphantly in the air), I was here yesterday and made the mistake about pouring my soda in the cup. Well, I'm just here to fill up the cup with the pop I've already paid for.
The cashier decides to take a stand. NOOOOOOOOOOOO- she says. You're not gonna fill up that cup with pop unless you pay for a refill.
Me- (super friendly) Oh no- I don't want a refill. I already paid for the pop... I'm just going to fill up this cup....
Cashier- "What do you think? Everything in this life is free?"
Me- "No- I have already paid for the soda"
Cashier- "Listen- we charged you yesterday for the cup and we're charging you today for the soda. You can't claim that pop back- you already paid for it"
Me- "exactly"and on and on and on....So finally (because really, I was picking an insane fight over $1.09) I throw the empty cup in the garbage, make sheepish apologies, and start to walk out.
Cashier- "You know" she yells as I open the door, "you can't just get things in this life for free"
Apparently, at the Bloomingdale Marathon Station, you can't even get things that you've paid for.

Comments:
Missy that's too funny. The real questions is, was it a Ball bottle?

-Chris
(works for Ball's plastic bottle division at the moment)
 
Missy,
You are awesome. I bet you made a big impact on the cashier. I bet the next time someone does the same thing, she'll be so nice and let them do it! Ha Ha.
 
Missy~
That is hilarious, I'm tempted to try that at the next Marathon station I stop at, and see if its just a "Marathon" thing or if its just a Bloomingdale CRAB thing!!!
 
Missy...still laughing...
 
Missy, I'm almost in tears, that's a fantastic story! If it were me, I would not have asked and simply re-filled my cup, announced to the lady what I had done, bowed and left the premises, never to return again! I guess that's why you're the good teacher!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?